This recipe came from “Recipes and Memories, VanHook Family Cookbook”.
1 pkg yeast (2 1/4 tsp)
2 Tbsp warm water (105 to 115°F.)
5 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
3 tsp baking powder
4 Tbsp sugar
1 tsp salt
1 cup vegetable shortening
2 cups buttermilk
1. Dissolve the yeast in warm water.
2. In a large bowl, sift together all the dry ingredients. Cut in the shortening until it is the size of very small peas.
3. Make a well in the center and add the buttermilk and then the yeast mixture. Stir until all the flour is moistened.
4. On a lightly floured surface, knead the dough for 1 to 2 minutes. Roll out to the desired thickness and cut with a biscuit cutter.
5. Bake 1n a 400° oven for 12 to 15 minutes.
6. Brush with melted butter before or after baking.
7. This recipe can be made up several days in advance and used as needed. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Yield: depends on the size you make the biscuits