Frozen puff pastry sheets make this ellegent dessert or brunch offering simple to prepare.
1/2 17.5 oz package frozen puff pastry sheets (1 sheet)
1 cup tart, firm, cooking apples, cut in 1/2 ” dice
3/4 cup powdered sugar
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 extra large egg
1 tsp raw sugar
1/4 tsp vanilla extract
1 Tbsp heavy cream or milk
1. Thaw puff pastry according to package directions. On a lightly floured surface, roll pastry into a square, pressing smooth the creases. Cut the pastry across the center in both directions to form four squares.
2. In a small bowl, combine the powdered sugar and cinnamon, mixing well.
3. Mound 1/4 cup of diced apples on each pastry square. Sprinkle each with a teaspoon of the powdered sugar mixture.
4. Whisk together the egg and 1 tsp water, then brush some of the egg wash along each edge of the pastry squares.
5. Fold the pastry up over the apples to form a triangle. Press the edges firmly together to seal and brush more egg wash over the top of each turnover, then sprinkle the tops with sugar. Place on a baking sheet.
6. Chill the turnovers in the freezer for 10 minutes while pre-heating the oven to 400°.
7. Bake the turnovers for 15 minutes or until golden brown and flaky.
8. While the turnovers are cooling, stir together the powdered sugar, vanilla, and cream until smooth, adding a little more cream if needed.
9. Drizzle the tops of the turnovers with the icing when they are no longer hot, but just warm, and serve.