Not quite a cookie, not quite coffee cake, Cinnamon Apple Squares are perfect as a brunch offering or an after school snack.
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup white whole wheat flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 cup butter, melted
1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
2 extra large eggs, room temperature
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp almond extract
1 large apple, diced
3/4 cup finely chopped pecans
2 Tbsp white sugar
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1. Preheat oven to 350 . Butter a 9×13 inch pan.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, and 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon and set aside
3. In a large bowl, mix together the melted butter, coconut oil, brown sugar, and 1/2 cup of white sugar until smooth. Stir in the eggs and extracts.
4. Blend in the flour mixture until just combined, then fold in the apples and pecans.
5. Spread the dough evenly in the prepared pan.
6. In a cup or small bowl, stir together the remaining cinnamon and sugar and sprinkle over the top of the dough.
7. Bake at 350° until the top springs back when lightly touched, about 30 minutes. Do not test with a wooden pick. The squares will be over baked.
8. Cool in the pan before cutting into squares.