We serve this over vegetable risotto or fettuccini.
1 pound fresh shrimp
1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon olive oil from sun-dried tomatoes
1 tablespoon sun-dried tomatoes, snipped
3 cloves garlic, pressed
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup fresh flat leaf parsley, chopped
1/2 teaspoon black pepper, coarsely ground
2 tablespoons butter
12 ounces fat-free evaporated milk
1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
1/3 cup heavy whipping cream
2 ounces neufchatel
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, freshly grated
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg, freshly grated
1. Peel and devein the shrimp and set aside.
2. In a large heavy skillet over low heat, melt 1 tablespoon butter with 1 tablespoon of the oil from the sun-dried tomatoes. Add the garlic and sun-dried tomatoes and saute gently for several minutes. Do not let the garlic brown. Add the red pepper flakes and salt.
3. Add the shrimp to the skillet and raise the heat enough to hear the shrimp sizzle. Saute 5 minutes, stirring frequently, until the shrimp begin to turn color but do not cook completely. Remove from the heat and stir in the parsley and black pepper.
4. In a small bowl, combine 1/4 cup of the evaporated milk and the cornstarch to form a slurry. Melt the remaining butter in a heavy saucepan then add the heavy cream and 1 1/4 cups of the evaporated milk. Cook, stirring constantly, until the mixture begins to boil. Add the cornstarch slurry and continue to cook and stir until the sauce thickens.
5. Add the cream cheese and stir until melted, then add the Parmesan and nutmeg and stir well.
6. Pour the thickened sauce over the shrimp in the skillet and cook over low heat a few minutes until the shrimp are cooked through and hot.
7. Serve over your favorite pasta.