If you prefer, substitute ground chicken for the ground beef in this recipe. Of course, it won’t be beefy anymore! I like to use Rotelle brand fire roasted tomatoes with green chilies when I can find them.
1 lbs lean ground beef
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1 Tbsp chili powder
1 tsp ground cumin
1/2 medium onion, chopped
1 Tbsp all-purpose flour
1 10 oz can tomatoes with green chilies
1 16 oz can refried beans
4 8 inch spinach flour tortillas, available on dairy aisle of market
8 oz Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
2 scallions, finely chopped
1. Preheat the oven to 375°. Lightly mist a deep pie pan with non-stick spray.
2. Preheat a large skillet over medium heat. Add ground beef and season with salt, chili powder, cumin, and onion. Brown the meat, then sprinkle on the flour and stir it in. Add 2/3 cup of the tomatoes with green chilies and simmer until slightly thickened.
3. Strain the liquid from the remaining tomatoes and stir it into the refried beans, reserving the tomatoes.
4. Build the lasagna by placing a tortilla in the bottom of the pie pan and spreading it with half of the meat mixture. Cover with another tortilla, then half of the beans and half of the cheese. Repeat with a tortilla, meat, tortilla, and beans. Top the final layer of beans with the remaining tomatoes before sprinkling on the final layer of cheese.
5. Cover the lasagna and bake for 10 minutes, then uncover and bake for another 15 minutes or so, until the cheese is browned to your liking. Scatter the scallions over the top. Let stand 5 to 10 minutes before cutting to serve. I like to add a dollop of sour cream to each portion.