This recipe works just as well with pork.
3/4 pound beef cubed steak
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 tsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp garlic salt
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
1/4 cup canola oil
1 cup beef broth
1 1/2 cups 1% low-fat milk
1. In a small bowl, combine the salt, garlic salt, and pepper. Season cubed steak liberally with this mix on both sides.
2. Place flour on a piece of wax paper set on a sturdy plate or paper plate. Using the edge of a saucer or a meat mallet, pound the flour into the meat until well coated on both sides.
3. Heat the canola oil in a large skillet over medium heat and add the meat when hot. Brown on both sides, cooking in batches or adding more oil if necessary.
4. When all the meat is browned, stir in the beef broth, scraping up the browned bits on the bottom. reduce the heat to low. Add the milk, again scraping the browned bits.
5. Cover the pan and simmer about 20 minutes, or until the meat is very tender, adding more milk if necessary.