Rich, creamy, and a little bit different. If you make meatballs ahead for the freezer and use those this main dish comes together very quickly.
1 lb lean ground beef
1 small onion, minced
1 slice wheat bread, torn
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1 tsp garlic, minced
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
8 oz fresh mushrooms, sliced
10 3/4 oz cream of mushroom soup, condensed
2 cups beef broth
3 oz cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup light sour cream
1 tsp dried parsley
8 oz egg noodles, cooked
1. Combine first 7 ingredients in a large bowl; shape mixture into balls about 2 tablespoons each.
2. If you have a toaster oven, (it’s not worth heating the big oven), bake the meatballs for 10 minutes or so to form a crust. This makes the meatballs less likely to break apart while you brown them.
3. Brown meatballs in a large oil filmed skillet over medium heat; drain well, and set aside
4. In the same skillet cook mushrooms until soft. Add soup, broth, and cheese to skillet, stirring until blended; return meatballs to skillet. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer, stirring occasionally, 10 minutes.
5. In a small bowl, stir together sour cream and parsley. Stir about 1/2 cup of the sauce from the skillet into the sour cream. Stir the sour cream mixture back into the skillet. Cook till warmed through but do not boil. Serve over noodles.