This recipe was adapted from Cook’s Illustrated.
5 pounds first cut beef rib roast, tied
2 tsp kosher salt
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp garlic powder
1 Tbsp canola oil
1. Remove the roast to room temperature two hours before cooking.
2. Position the oven rack in its lowest position and preheat to 200°.
3. In a small bowl, blend together the salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Pat the roast dry with paper towels, then rub on the seasonings to coat the roast.
4. Heat a Chef’s pan or heavy roasting pan over medium high heat. Film the bottom of the pan with the oil. Sear the roast on all sides until nicely browned.
5. Insert a probe style thermometer into the thickest part of the meat and move to the pre-heated oven. Bake the roast until the thermometer registers 145°, about 35 minutes per pound.
6. Remove the roast from the oven and tent with foil. Let stand 20 minutes before carving.