One of the least expensive beef roasts on the market is the eye of round roast. Normally, inexpensive equates to tough and dry. Cook’s Illustrated developed this cooking method to produce a tender and flavorful bargain beef roast. I have adapted their recipe just slightly to suit my own needs.
4 pound eye of round roast
4 tsp kosher salt
2 tsp vegetable oil
1 Tbsp vegetable oil
2 tsp black pepper
1 tsp granulated garlic
1. Season the roast evenly on all sides with the salt. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap and refrigerate over night.
2. Thirty minutes to one hour before roasting, remove the roast from the refrigerator and allow to come to room temperature.
3. Adjust the oven rack to the middle position and heat the oven to 225°.
4. In a small bowl, mix together the black pepper and granulated garlic.
5. Pat the roast dry with paper towels and rub with 2 tsp of vegetable oil. Season all sides evenly with the pepper mixture.
6. In a large oven safe skillet, heat the remaining Tbsp of oil over medium high heat until just smoking. Sear the roast until browned on all sides.
7. Remove the pan from the heat and insert a probe type thermometer into the center of the roast.
8. Transfer the skillet to the oven and roast until the meat registers 125° for medium, about 2 hours.
9. Turn the oven off. Without opening the oven door, leave the roast in the oven until the meat registers 140° for medium, about 40 minutes longer.
10. Transfer the roast to a carving board and let rest, loosely covered, for 15 minutes.
11. If desired, use the fond left in the bottom of the skillet to make a Simple Pan Sauce.
12. Slice the meat as thinly as possible to serve.