Easy Instant Pot Swedish meatballs are simmered in a delicious creamy gravy. The meat is a mix of ground beef, pork, breadcrumbs, and spices.
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream, divided
1 large egg
1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
8 oz lean ground pork
1/4 cup grated onion
1 tsp minced garlic
1 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp kosher salt, divided
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/8 tsp allspice
1/8 tsp black pepper
8 oz lean ground beef, 85% lean
1 Tbsp olive oil
1/2 small onion, diced
1 1/2 cups sliced mushrooms
2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
2 cups beef broth, unsalted
8 oz butterfly pasta
1/4 cup sour cream
1 Tbsp chopped parsley
1. In a medium-sized bowl whisk together 1/4 cup heavy cream and egg. Add in breadcrumbs and stir to combine, set aside.
2. In a large bowl add pork, grated onion, garlic, baking powder, 1 teaspoon salt, nutmeg, allspice, and black pepper. Use your hands to mix and combine the mixture until consistent in appearance. Add in the breadcrumb mixture (panade) and mix with hands to combine until smooth. Add in ground beef and mix with hand until combined. 3. Roll meatball mixture into 2 tablespoon-sized balls, about 20 total.
4. Select “Saute” on the Instant Pot. Allow pot to heat, it will indicate “Hot” on the display when ready. Add 1 tablespoon olive oil to the pot, once hot add add half of the meatballs and brown on one side for 4 minutes, flip over and brown 2 minutes. With a slotted spoon, remove meatballs from the pot and transfer to plate. Brown the remaining meatballs and transfer those to the plate.
5. Add the diced onion and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Cook and stir until the onions begin to soften, then stir the mushrooms into the pot. Add the flour and stir until evenly incorporated.
6. Add 1/2 cup of unsalted beef broth, stir to deglaze and scrape any of the browned bits on the bottom of the pan into the liquid, then stir in the remaining broth.
7. Press “Cancel” on the Instant Pot, and add the meatballs back to the pot.
8. Make sure that the release valve is in the “Sealing” position. Place the lid on the Instant Pot, turn and lock the lid. Press “Manual” button on the Instant Pot on high pressure, and then set the timer to 10 minutes using the “+” or “-” buttons. It will take about 10 minutes for the pot to heat up and build up the pressure. You will see some steam release from the lid, and then the time will start on the display.
9. Once cook time is complete, press the “Cancel” button. Allow the pressure to naturally release for 10 minutes, then use the quick release to release any remaining pressure.
10. Carefully open the lid and stir in the butterfly pasta, making sure all the pasta is submerged. Seal and bring to high pressure again. Cook for 6 minutes.
11. Release pressure naturally for 5 minutes, then use the quick release method to release the remaining pressure. Stir in the last 1/4 cup of heavy cream and the sour cream.
12. Garnish meatballs with parsley.