Fruit and Nut Bread has it all. Apples, dates, cranberries, and walnuts give it a wonderful Fall flavor.
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 cup canola oil or melted coconut oil
2 extra large eggs
1 Tbsp vanilla extract
2 medium apples
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup white whole wheat flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 cup chopped dates, 8 oz
1 cup dried cranberries
1 1/2 cups chopped walnuts
2 Tbsp sugar
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1. Preheat the oven to 350. Grease the bottom only of two loaf pans. This bread batter is very dense. If you grease the sides of the pans, the bread will be unable to rise.
2. In a large bowl, combine the sugar, oil, eggs and vanilla.
3. Peel and dice the apples to about 1/4 inch. As you do, stir the apples into the sugar mixture. Let stand a few minutes to allow the apples to flavor the sugar.
4. In a small bowl, whisk together the flours, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Stir this into the apple mixture until just combined.
5. Stir in the dates, cranberries, and walnuts until evenly combined.
6. Divide the batter between the two prepared pans and smooth the top.
7. In a cup or very small bowl, mix the remaining 2 Tbsp sugar and cinnamon. Sprinkle over the batter.
8. Bake 1 hour to 1 hour, 15 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean.
9. Cool 10 minutes, then loosen the sides of the loaf from the pan and remove to a wire rack. Cool completely before slicing.