This recipe for a yeast dough is much quicker than most. It can be used for dinner rolls or cinnamon rolls. Just shape as desired.
1 Tbsp yeast
2 cups warm water, (105* to 115*)
2 Tbsp sugar
1 extra large egg , lightly beaten
3/4 cup canola oil
2 cups self-rising flour
2 cups white whole wheat flour
3 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1. In a small bowl or glass measuring cup, sprinkle the yeast on the water. Let stand to dissolve five minutes, then add the sugar and let stand another few minutes, until foamy.
2. In another bowl, combine the egg and oil, mixing well.
3. While the yeast mixture is working, combine the first dry ingredients. In a large bowl, combine the self-rising flour, white whole wheat flour, baking powder, and salt. Mix well, then make a well in the center. Reserve the all-purpose flour for later.
4. Stir the yeast mixture and egg mixture into the dry ingredients, cover, and set aside for 30 minutes to rise.
5. Stir in the all-purpose flour.
6. Preheat the oven to 425°. Lightly grease a baking sheet or muffin tins.
7. Sprinkle a clean work surface with flour. Dump the dough onto the floured surface and knead several minutes until soft and elastic. Using as little as possible, sprinkle with additional flour as needed to keep the dough from sticking.
8. Shape the dough as desired and bake until golden brown, 20 minutes or more, depending on the shape.