Strawberry Banana Bread is as good for breakfast as it is as a snack. I almost always have over-ripe bananas in the freezer and fresh strawberries are now available year round, so I can bake up a couple of loaves any time I like.
1 cup butter, softened
4 extra large eggs, room temperature
2 cups fresh strawberries, sliced
1 cup granulated sugar, divided
1 cup brown sugar, packed
2 cups ripe bananas, mashed
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups white whole wheat flour
1 tsp salt
2 tsp baking soda
1. Preheat oven to 325. Grease two 9- by 5-inch loaf pans.
2. While the butter is softening, combine the strawberries and 1/2 cup of the granulated sugar, mixing well.
3. In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter and remaining sugars Add the bananas, mixing well.Add the eggs one at a time, mixing thoroughly after each one; set aside.
4. In another bowl, mix together both flours, salt, and baking soda.
5. Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture and stir just until no dry flour remains. Fold in the strawberries.
6. Pour into prepared pans and bake for 60 to 75 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
7. Cool completely on a rack before inverting onto a plate.
Yield: 2 loaves