Shhh! Don’t tell anybody, this re-make of strawberry bread is actually good for you, but it could pass as dessert.
1 1/2 cups fresh strawberries, hulled and chopped
1 cup granulated sugar, divided
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup white whole wheat flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
2 extra large eggs
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup Greek yogurt, plain low-fat
1. Preheat oven to 350°. Lightly grease and flour a standard glass (8×5″) loaf pan.
2. Rinse, core and slice the strawberries; place in a small bowl and sprinkle with 1/2 cup sugar.
3. In a large mixing bowl, blend together the remaining sugar, flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon.
4. In a medium bowl, beat the eggs until foamy, then add the vanilla and Greek yogurt. Stir in the strawberries.
5. Combine the two mixtures, blending until the dry ingredients are just moistened.
6. Scrape the batter into the pan and bake for 60-70 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
7. Remove the pan from the oven and cool on a wire rack for 20 minutes before removing the bread from the pan.