This moist and flavorful snack bread makes a great cream cheese breakfast sandwich. When strawberries are in season bake up a couple loaves and stash them in your freezer.
1 1/2 cups fresh strawberries, sliced
1 cup granulated sugar, divided
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
2 extra large eggs
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup butter, melted
1. Preheat oven to 350°. Lightly grease and flour a standard glass (8×5″) loaf pan.
2. Rinse, core and slice the strawberries; place in a small bowl and sprinkle with 1/2 cup sugar.
3. In a large mixing bowl, blend together the remaining sugar, flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon.
4. In a medium bowl, beat the eggs until foamy, then add the vanilla and melted butter. Make sure the melted butter isn’t too hot-just barely melted. Stir in the strawberries.
5. Combine the two mixtures, blending until the dry ingredients are moistened.
6. Scrape the batter into the pan and bake for 60-70 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
7. Remove the pan from the oven and cool on a wire rack for 20 minutes before removing the bread from the pan.