Just a little sweet and just a little hot, these tender corn muffins are good with a bowl of chili or soup.
1 cup self-rising cornmeal mix
1 cup self-rising flour
1 tsp sugar
4 oz sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
1/4 cup diced Serrano or jalapeno chili peppers
1 extra-large egg, lightly beaten
4 oz light sour cream
1/4 cup canola oil
1 8.5 oz can cream-style corn
1 1/4 cup buttermilk
1. Preheat the oven to 400°. Lightly grease or spray a standard 12 cup muffin tin.
2. In a large bowl, combine the cornmeal mix, flour, and sugar, mixing well. Stir in the cheese and diced chilis. Make a well in the center and set aside.
3. In a medium bowl, combine the remaining ingredients in listed order, mixing well with each addition.
4. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and fold together just until moistened.
5. Spoon into the prepared muffin tin. Bake in the pre-heated oven 22 minutes or until lightly browned.