Sweet and moist, this cornbread is the perfect accompaniment to a steaming bowl of chili or stew.
1/3 cup bacon fat
3 extra large eggs
1 15 ounce can cream-style corn
1 cup light sour cream
2 Tbsp sugar
1 1/2 cups self-rising cornmeal mix
1. Preheat the oven to 450°.
2. Use the bacon fat to grease the sides of a 10″ iron skillet, then heat the fat to melt.
3. In a large bowl, beat the eggs, then stir in the cream-style corn, sour cream, and sugar.
4. Fold in the corn meal mix until moistened, then add the melted bacon fat.
5. Pour the batter into the skillet and transfer to the oven.
6. Bake 30 minutes or until the center is firm and the top is golden.
7. Let stand 5 minutes, then invert onto a serving plate before cutting into wedges to serve.