If you make a batch of Fresh Ricotta Cheese, don’t throw that Whey away! Try baking a batch of this beautiful bread.
3 cups warm ricotta whey, 110° to 115°
1 Tbsp yeast
1/4 cup sugar
1 tsp salt
7 cups all-purpose flour, more or less
1 tsp vegetable oil
1. In a large bowl, combine warm whey, yeast, sugar, and salt. Let stand five minutes, or until bubbly.
2. With a heavy spoon, stir in as much of the flour as you can. When the dough becomes too stiff to stir turn it out onto a floured surface and begin kneading. Add flour and knead until you have a smooth and elastic dough. This should take about ten minutes.
3. Smear the vegetable oil all over a large bowl. Add the dough and turn to coat the dough in oil. Cover, and let stand in a warm place until doubled, about an hour. The dough is doubled when you poke two fingers into the dough and the indention remains.
4. On a lightly floured surface, knead the dough a few more times. Divide the dough in half and form into two loaves, placing each in a greased loaf pan. Let rise, covered, another hour or until again doubled.
5. Preheat the oven to 350°.
6. Bake 30 minutes, or until golden. Cool before slicing.
Yield: 2 loaves