These biscuits are soft and fluffy. You’d never guess that they are made with whole grain flour. I usualy set up an assembly line and mix up several batches of the dry ingredients, package them in zip top bags, and store in the refrigerator.
1 cup White Lily self rising flour
1 cup King Arthur white whole wheat flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking soda
3 oz coconut oil, firm
1 cup lowfat buttermilk
1 Tbsp lowfat buttermilk
additional flour, for dusting board
1. Preheat convection oven to 500°.
2. In a large bowl, combine all dry ingredients. Cut in the coconut oil with a pastry cutter or 2 knives until the lard is the size of baby peas. With a fork, stir in all the buttermilk until just combined.
3. Turn the dough out onto a dusted work surface, dust the top with flour and pat out into about a 10 inch square. Fold the dough into thirds like a business envelope, then pat out again and repeat from the opposite direction. Pat and fold one more time, then pat out to a 1/2 inch thickness.
4. With a floured 2 1/2 inch cutter, press straight down without twisting to make 12 biscuits, re-forming the dough as necessary.
5. Place the biscuits on a baking sheet and bake for 6 minutes and 15 seconds. Remove immediately as soon as browned to your liking.