This breakfast casserole is easily prepared the night before and easily divided in half. I’m not sure where the original version came from. As usual, I tweaked it a little to my liking. Southwestern style hash browns and pepper jack cheese are an excellent choice if you are serving brunch. Enjoy!
1 pound bacon, cut in 1″ pieces
1 medium onion, chopped (1/2 cup)
1 medium red bell pepper, chopped (3/4 cup)
8 oz fresh mushrooms, sliced
2 Tbsp Dijon mustard
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
3/4 cup milk
12 extra large eggs
2 20 oz package refrigerated shredded hash brown potatoes, room temperature
2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese (8 ounces)
1. In a 12 inch skillet, cook the bacon until crisp. With a slotted spoon, remove the bacon to a small bowl, cover, and refrigerate. Drain the drippings, reserving 1 Tbsp in the pan.
2. Add the onion, bell pepper, and mushrooms. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the veggies just begin to soften. Stir in the mustard, salt, and pepper.
3. In a large bowl, beat eggs and milk with a wire whisk.
4. Spray a 9 x13 baking dish with cooking spray. Spread half of the hash browns in the baking dish. Spread the onion mixture evenly on top. Sprinkle with 1 cup of the cheese. Spread the remaining hash browns over the top. Pour on the egg mixture. Cover and refrigerate 8 hours or overnight.
5. Thirty minutes before baking, remove the casserole from the refrigerator to the counter. Heat the oven to 325°.
6. Bake uncovered for 30 to 40 minutes.
7. Sprinkle with the remaining 1 cup of cheese and the bacon. Bake 5 minutes longer or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean, the top is puffed, and the cheese is melted.
8. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.