Low cal, low fat, and high in fiber, these muffins are more of a breakfast than a snack. Add nuts if you like, and try substituting low fat yogurt for the buttermilk if you want to up the protein.
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
2 tablespoons flax seed meal
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
1 cup rolled oats
1 large egg
3/4 cup low fat buttermilk
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/2 cups mashed bananas
1. Preheat the oven to 350°. Spray a standard 12 cup muffin tin with baking spray and set aside.
2. Whisk together the dry ingredients, flours through oats.
3. In a large bowl, beat the egg then add the remaining wet ingredients, buttermilk through bananas. Stir to combine thoroughly. Add the flour mixture and stir until just moistened but still slightly lumpy. Divide the batter evenly in the muffin tin. Let stand 10 minutes.
4. Bake at 350° for 20 to 25 minutes until the tops are evenly golden brown.
5. Cool in pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes, then remove from pan to rack to cool completely.