Not a garlic fan? Just reduce the amount of garlic or omit it all together. This casserole will still be delicious.
1 1/3 cup water
1 1/3 cup heavy cream
3 Tbsp unsalted butter
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
2/3 cup quick-cooking grits
8 oz shredded Swiss cheese, divided
4 cloves garlic, finely minced
8 extra large eggs, divided
1 cup baked ham, diced
1/2 cup sliced green onions, (about 6)
1. In a medium saucepan, bring the first 6 ingredients, water thru cayenne pepper, to a boil.
2. Gradually stir in the grits, then reduce the heat, cover, and simmer 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. Add 2/3 cup of the cheese and the garlic, stirring well, and remove from heat.
4. Preheat the oven to 350°.
5. Let the grits cool uncovered for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in 2 of the eggs. Pour the mixture into a lightly greased 9″x13″ baking dish.
6. Bake the grits crust for 20 minutes.
7. Meanwhile, stir together the remaining 6 eggs and 1/2 cup milk with an additional 1/2 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper.
8. After 20 minutes, remove the crust from the oven and sprinkle evenly with the remaining cheese, ham, and green onions. Gently pour the egg mixture over the top and return the casserole to the oven.
9. Bake for an additional 30 to 40 minutes, or until just set.
10. Cool, loosely covered with foil, for 10 minutes before cutting into squares to serve.