These moist carrot muffins use orange juice in the batter and a little bit of cinnamon. Add a smear of cream cheese for breakfast on the go.
1/2 cup butter, melted
1/2 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup orange juice, room temperature
1 extra large egg, room temperature, beaten
1 cup white whole-wheat flour
1 cup all purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1/2 cup raisins
2 cups shredded carrots
1. Preheat the oven to 400°. Line a standard muffin tin with paper or spray with baker’s spray.
2. In a large bowl, combine the melted butter and sugar. Stir in the orange juice and then the egg.
3. In another bowl, stir together the two flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon. Toss in the nuts and raisins to coat with flour.
4. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix only until moist, then fold in the carrots. The batter will be stiff.
5. Divide the batter evenly among the muffin cups.
6. Place into the preheated oven and bake for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
7. Let sit in the pan for five minutes then remove the muffins to a cooling rack.