These muffins have a wonderful fresh strawberry flavor. It is important to have the buttermilk and egg at room temperature to keep the coconut oil from lumping. Freeze any leftover muffins soon after baking. They will re-heat quickly in the microwave.
2/3 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup white whole wheat flour
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar, packed
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
2/3 cup buttermilk, room temperature
1 extra large egg, beaten, room temperature
1/4 cup coconut oil, melted and cooled (52g)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup diced fresh strawberries
1. Preheat oven to 400°. Coat a muffin tin with baking spray.
2. In a large bowl, combine the flours, sugars, baking soda, and salt. Stir well with a wire whisk.
3. In a small bowl, stir together the buttermilk, egg, coconut oil, and vanilla. Mix well.
4. Dice enough fresh strawberries to measure 1 cup. Gently toss the strawberries in the flour mixture, making sure all the berries are separated.
5. Fold the wet ingredients into the dry just until the dry ingredients are moistened but some lumps remain.
6. Spoon the batter evenly into the prepared muffin cups. Bake for 18 to 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out nearly clean.
7. Immediately remove the muffins from the pan to cool on a wire rack.