This recipe makes a very large casserole. If you choose, divide it into smaller dishes and freeze for make ahead meals.
1 16 oz box penne pasta, cooked according to package directions
2 Tbsp butter
1 6 oz bag fresh baby spinach
1 8 oz package sliced fresh mushrooms
½ cup chopped onion
¼ cup all-purpose flour
4 cups chicken broth
1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
1 ½ tsp salt
½ tsp ground black pepper
3 cups shredded rotisserie chicken
1 16 oz pkg fresh mozzarella, cut into a large dice
1 cup jarred roasted red pepper, drained and cut into ¼-inch-thick strips
½ cup shredded Parmesan cheese
1. Preheat oven to 350°. Spray a 13×9-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
2. In a large Dutch oven, melt the butter over medium heat.
3. Add the spinach and cook, stirring occasionally, just until wilted. Remove from the pan and set aside.
4. Add the mushrooms and onion to the pan. Cook, stirring frequently, until the mushrooms and onions begin to soften.
5. Add the flour and cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Stir in the broth and cook, stirring often, until the sauce is thick and bubbly. Stir in the mustard, salt, and pepper.
6. Remove from heat, and stir in the pasta, spinach, diced mozzarella, and roasted red pepper.
7. Spoon the mixture into prepared pan and sprinkle with the Parmesan.
8. Bake for 30 minutes or until hot and bubbly.