This recipe for Another Chicken Tamale Casserole was adapted from a very similar recipe from Cooking Light Magazine.
4 oz shredded pepper jack cheese, divided
1 5 oz can evaporated milk
1 extra large egg
1 tsp ground cumin
1/8 tsp ground red pepper
1 (14 3/4-ounce) can cream-style corn
1 1/2 cup self-rising cornmeal mix
1 4 oz. can chopped green chiles, drained
2 cups shredded cooked chicken breast
1 cup rojo (red chile) sauce or red enchilada sauce
1 cup light sour cream, divided
1. Preheat oven to 400°. Coat a 9 x 13 inch baking dish with cooking spray.
2. Combine 1/4 cup cheese and next 7 ingredients (through chiles) in a large bowl, stirring just until moist.
3. Pour half of the corn bread mixture into the prepared baking dish, layer on the chicken, then carefully spread on the remaining corn bread mixture.
4. Bake at 400° for 20 to 25 minutes or until set.
5. While the casserole is baking, combine the rojo sauce and 1/2 cup sour cream.
6. When the casserole is set, pierce entire surface liberally with a fork and pour the sauce over the top and sprinkle with the remaining cheese.
7. Bake at 400° for anther 15 minutes or until the cheese melts.
8. Remove from the oven and let stand 5 minutes.
9. If desired, top each serving with 1 tablespoon of the remaining sour cream.