My friend Carol makes this chicken salad the day before so the flavors can “marry” but she waits until just before serving time to moisten the mix with a dollop of sour cream. She served this on croissants.
3 medium chicken breast halves
1 tsp salt, divided
1/2 tsp black pepper, divided
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1/4 tsp hot sauce, such as Tabasco
1 cup celery, diced
1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
1/2 cup pecans, chopped
1/2 cup green onion, thinly sliced
1 cup seedless grapes, halved
1/4 cup sour cream
1. Preheat the oven to 425°. Season the chicken breast with half of the salt and half of the pepper and place in a shallow baking dish.
2. Roast the chicken until completely cooked, 165° on a meat thermometer, or about 40 minutes. The length of time will be determined by the size of the breast pieces.
3. When the chicken is done remove it from the oven and allow to cool slightly. Remove and discard the skin and bones, then finely chop the meat and combine with any accumulated juices. You will need about 2 1/2 cups of diced chicken.
4. In a large bowl, mix together all the remaining ingredients except the sour cream. Add the chicken and stir gently to combine. Cover and refrigerate until serving time.
5. Just before serving add the sour cream and adjust the salt and pepper to taste.