Chorizo sausage adds a kick to these stuffed quesadillas.
1 8-oz skinless boneless chicken breast half
2 teaspoons olive or canola oil, divided
2 teaspoons taco seasoning mix, divided
1 small link fresh chorizo sausage, about 2 1/2 ounces
1/2 small onion, sliced
1/2 small red bell pepper, sliced 1/4″ thick
4 ounces crimini mushrooms, sliced
3 ounces pepper jack cheese, shredded
2 8-inch whole wheat tortillas
2 teaspoons butter, softened
1. Rub the chicken breast with 1 tsp. of oil, then season on both sides with 1 tsp. of the taco seasoning mix. Wrap tightly in plastic and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, microwave the onion, bell pepper, and mushrooms each separately until barely tender and set aside.
3. Remove the chicken from the refrigerator about 10 minutes before cooking and slice into 1/4″ strips.
4. Crumble the chorizo into 1/2 inch pieces in a large non-stick skillet over medium heat. Cook until barely browned but cooked through. With a slotted spoon, remove to a plate, leaving the drippings behind.
5. Warm 1 tsp. of oil along with the sausage drippings. Add the chicken and sear on both sides until golden and just cooked through. Remove to the plate.
6. In the same skillet, heat the remaining tsp. of oil. Add the onion, bell pepper, and mushrooms and toss to coat with oil. Season the veggies with the remaining taco seasoning and stir-fry until heated through. Return the chicken and chorizo to the skillet to warm, then set aside.
7. Heat a non-stick griddle over medium low heat.
8. Sprinkle half of the cheese evenly over each tortilla. Pile half of the chicken mixture onto the bottom half of each tortilla, then fold the top half over all the filling to close.
9. Spread each quesadilla with half of the softened butter and place buttered side down on the griddle, then spread the remaining butter on the top side.
10. Cook over medium low heat, turning once, until golden brown and the cheese has melted.