Chicken Lasagna is a nice change from the usual red Traditional Lasagna. Feel free to use a purchased rotisserie chicken. One chicken will yield just about the right amount of meat.
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 small onion, chopped
1 Tbsp garlic, finely minced
8 oz sliced mushrooms
4 Tbsp butter
6 Tbsp flour
2 cups chicken stock or low sodium chicken broth
1 can (15 oz) fat-free evaporated milk
1/2 cup 1% low fat milk
15 oz part-skim ricotta cheese
16 oz low fat cottage cheese
2 large eggs
1 cup four cheese Italian blend
2 10 oz boxes frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
12 pieces Dreamfields lasagna noodles, cooked
3 cups shredded cooked chicken
8 oz part skim mozzarella cheese, thinly sliced
1. Heat the oil in a non-stick skillet and sauté the onions until they start to soften. Add the garlic and mushrooms and cook until the mushrooms are pliable and most of the moisture is gone. Season with salt and pepper to taste and set aside.
2. Melt the butter in a heavy saucepan, then blend in the flour to form a roux. Cook and stir 2 minutes, then slowly whisk in the broth and milks. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until thickened and bubbly. Remove from heat and stir in the reserved mushroom mixture. Check seasonings.
3. In a bowl combine the ricotta, cottage cheese, eggs, Italian cheese blend and spinach. Blend well.
4. Preheat oven to 375°. Spray a 9 x 13 inch baking dish with cooking spray.
5. Spread a thin layer of sauce over the bottom of the dish and arrange 3 noodles evenly on top. Spread with 1/2 of the cheese mixture then 1/2 of the chicken. Cover with sauce and 3 more noodles, another layer of sauce, and three more noodles. Spread the remainder of the cheese mixture and top with the rest of the chicken and more sauce. Add the last 3 noodles and top with the mozzarella and the rest of the sauce.
6. Cover the lasagna and bake for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake another 20 minutes or until the cheese is golden brown. Remove from oven and let stand, covered, for 10 minutes before cutting.