Just about everyone loves King Ranch Chicken, but it can be a diet bomb. This Chicken Tortilla Casserole is my attempt to make that stand-by just a bit lighter and healthier. If you are short on time you can substitute for the sauce. Use one can of condensed Fiesta Nacho Cheese soup and one Cream of Chicken, omitting the spices and Velveeta, but the calorie count and fats will be higher.
1 Tbsp butter
1/2 Tbsp olive oil
3 Tbsp all-purpose flour
1 Tbsp chili powder
8 oz chicken broth
1 12 oz can fat-free evaporated milk
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
2 oz 2% Velveeta cheese, cubed
2 tsp olive oil
1 large Vidalia onion, chopped
1 10 oz can Rotel diced tomatoes & green chilies
1 4 oz. can diced green chilies
10 oz frozen corn, steamed
1 15 ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
6 oz light sour cream
2 cups shredded cooked chicken breast
12 6 inch corn tortillas, quartered
6 oz 2% sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
1. In a medium saucepan over medium low heat, melt together the butter and 1/2 Tbsp olive oil. Whisk in the flour until lump free. Continue cooking while whisking for 2 minutes. Whisk in the chili powder, salt, and pepper, then gradually add the broth and evaporated milk. Cook and stir until the sauce begins to thicken, then stir in the Velveeta until melted. Remove from heat and set aside.
2. In a large saucepan over medium heat, cook the onion in 2 tsp of olive oil until tender. Add the Rotel, chilies, sauce, sour cream, corn, beans, and chicken. Stir gently until evenly combined and set aside.
3. Preheat the oven to 325° and lightly coat a large casserole dish with cooking spray.
4. Alternately layer 1/3rd each of the tortillas, chicken mixture, and shredded cheese.
5. Bake covered for 30 minutes, then uncovered for another ten, or until hot and bubbly. Let stand a few minutes before serving.