This makes the perfect summertime meal for two if you freeze half for later.
1 pound skinless boneless chicken breast halves — about 4
1 tablespoon Montreal seasoning
8 ounces Dreamfield’s spaghetti — dry
1/2 cup butter, divided
1/2 medium onion, sliced stem to root
1 clove garlic, minced
1 large zucchini, halved lengthwise and sliced
1 medium bell pepper, any color, sliced
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 cup chicken stock
1/2 cup cream
1/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
1 tablespoon snipped fresh parsley
2 tablespoons shredded Parmesan cheese
1. Cut the chicken breasts into thin strips and place in a bowl. Sprinkle with Montreal seasoning, tossing to coat, and set aside while you prep the veggies.
2. Cook the spaghetti in heavily salted water according to package directions, minus 2 minutes. When the pasta is nearly done, remove a large mug of the pasta water and save it for later. Drain the spaghetti, return to the pot, and cover to keep warm.
3. In a large skillet over medium heat, melt 2 tablespoons of the butter. When the foam subsides, add the chicken and saute until beginning to brown. The chicken does not have to be fully cooked at this point. Remove to a plate, leaving the juices behind.
4. In the same skillet, saute the veggies until crisp tender, then remove to the plate with the chicken, again leaving the juices behind.
5. In the same skillet, melt the remaining butter. Add the flour, salt, and pepper, stirring to form a smooth paste. Gradually add the broth. Bring to a boil and cook, stirring constantly, until thickened.
6. Reduce the heat and stir in the cream and sun-dried tomatoes, cooking to heat through.
7. Remove 1/2 cup of the sauce and stir into the reserved spaghetti, along with about 1/2 cup of the pasta water. If the noodles seem too dry, add more pasta water as needed.
8. Return the chicken and veggies to the pot, continuing to cook until heated through.
9. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 2 quart baking dish (or 2 appropriately sized dishes if dividing for two). Place the spaghetti in the bottom of the dish and pour the chicken mixture over the top. Sprinkle on the Parmesan cheese.
10. Cover and bake for 20 minutes, then uncover and bake 5 to 10 minutes longer. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.