This casserole can easily become a vegetarian or side dish. Just leave out the chicken layer and substitute in vegetable broth . Adding a can of rinsed and drained black beans will provide a complete protein, but ups the carbohydrate content.
1 cup uncooked converted brown rice
2 cups shredded cooked chicken
1 Tbsp Taco Seasoning
2 1/4 cups chicken broth, divided
1 1/4 cup reduced fat sour cream, divided
1 4 oz. can diced green chiles
1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese, divided
1 cup whole kernel corn, frozen, thawed and drained
1/4 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1. In a large saucepan, bring the rice and 2 cups chicken broth to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer 30 minutes.
2. Preheat oven to 350°. Lightly grease a 1 1/2 quart casserole dish.
3. In a medium bowl, stir together the chicken, taco seasoning, 1/4 cup broth, and 1/4 cup sour cream. Set aside.
4. In a large bowl, mix the cooked rice, 1 cup sour cream, green chili peppers, 1/2 cup Monterey Jack cheese, corn, and cilantro. Season with salt and pepper.
5. Transfer half to the prepared casserole dish, layer on the reserved chicken mixture, the remainder of the rice mixture, and then top with the remaining cheese.
6. Bake uncovered 30 minutes in the preheated oven, until cheese is bubbly and lightly browned.