If good asparagus is not available try substituting fresh broccoli.
1 pound fresh asparagus
6 medium boned and skinned chicken breasts
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp garlic powder
2 Tbsp butter
2 Tbsp olive oil
8 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced
1/2 cup onion chopped
2 Tbsp capers drained and rinsed
2 cups chicken broth, divided
1 cup white wine
2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
2 Tbsp cornstarch
8 ounces Penne pasta, uncooked
2 Tbsp fresh parsley, chopped, for garnish
1. Wash the asparagus, snap off the tough ends, and cut into 2 inch pieces. Set aside.
2. Season chicken on both sides with Kosher salt, pepper, and garlic powder.
3. In a large skillet, heat butter and olive oil over medium high heat. Sauté chicken pieces until golden brown. Add mushrooms and onions and sauté 3 to 5 minutes. Add the capers.
4. In a medium bowl, combine 1 3/4 cups of the broth, wine and lemon juice. Mix together and pour over the chicken. Reduce the heat and let simmer while you cook the penne.
5. Bring a large pot of water to a boil and add 1 Tbsp of salt. Add the penne and cook, stirring occasionally 10 minutes. Add the asparagus and continue cooking 2 to 4 minutes more.
6. In a small bowl, combine the remaining chicken broth and cornstarch. Add to the chicken mixture and stir until well combined. Continue to simmer until the chicken is cooked through and juices run clear.
7. Remove the chicken to a platter and keep warm.
8. Remove 1/2 cup of the pasta water and set aside. Drain the penne and asparagus well and add to the sauce mixture. Toss to combine. Add a little of the reserved pasta water if needed.
9. Serve the chicken on top of the pasta sprinkled with the chopped parsley for garnish.