A scaled down version of the original, this recipe serves two to three.
3/4 cup uncooked cavatappi pasta or elbow macaroni
1 1/2 Tablespoons butter
1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and diced
1 1/2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
3/4 cup 2% milk
1/2 teaspoon Cajun seasoning
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1 cup shredded pepper jack cheese
1 cup shredded cooked chicken
3 strips bacon, cooked and crumbled
3/4 cup frozen peas
1/2 cup crushed kettle-cooked potato chips or panko bread crumbs, (Japanese breadcrumbs)
1. Cook pasta according to package directions for al dente; drain. Preheat broiler.
2. In a 10-inch ovenproof skillet, heat butter over medium heat. Add the jalapeno and cook, stirring often, until the pepper starts to soften.
3. Stir in flour until blended; cook and stir 1-2 minutes. Gradually whisk in cream, milk, Cajun seasoning, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly.
4. Reduce heat; cook and stir until thickened, about 5 minutes. Stir in cheese until melted.
5. Add pasta, chicken, bacon and jalapeno; cook and stir until heated through. Stir in peas.
6. Sprinkle chips or panko over top. Broil 3-4 inches from heat until chips are lightly browned, about 30 seconds.