I patterned this dish after one served at Applebee’s. For the best flavor, you should use a charcoal grill, and you will need a grilling pan for the shrimp and veggies. While the ingredient list looks long, it isn’t. Most of the marinade ingredients are duplicated in the sauce.
1 small boneless, skinless chicken breast half, about 8 oz, split horizontally
1/2 pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
1/2 large sweet onion, sliced stem to root
1 medium red bell pepper, sliced 1/3″ thick
For the marinade:
1 large serrano pepper, seeded and chopped
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
1/2 tsp kosher salt
3 tsp fresh cilantro, chopped
2 Tbsp olive oil
1/3 cup tequila
For the veggies:
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 Tbsp roasted garlic and herb seasoning
For the sauce:
1 clove garlic
1/4 tsp kosher salt
1/2 ripe Hass avocado
1/4 cup low-fat sour cream
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 cup cooked brown rice
1. For the marinade:
2. In a blender, combine the serrano pepper, garlic, lime juice, salt, and cilantro. Process until smooth, then stream in the olive oil, and finally the tequila. Pour half the marinade into each of two zip-top bags. Add the chicken to one of the bags, press out as much air as possible, and refrigerate for several hours or overnight. Refrigerate the other half of the marinade for later.
3. For the sauce:
4. In the same blender container, combine all the sauce ingredients and process until smooth. Transfer to a small bowl and refrigerate.
5. About 30 minutes before grilling: Remove all ingredients from the refrigerator. Add the shrimp to the second bag of marinade. In a large bowl, toss together the veggies, oil, and seasoning.
6. When the grill is ready: Start the chicken on the grill first, cook about 5 minutes (less if you have halved the breast), and turn. At his point, arrange the drained shrimp and veggies on a grill pan. Turn the shrimp and veggies once, until just cooked to your liking. The shrimp should be pink and the veggies tender-crisp.
7. When the chicken is done, remove it to a plate, top with a dollop of sauce, and cover with foil to keep warm.
8. To serve, place half of the rice on each dinner plate and top with half of the veggies. Place the chicken on top of the veggies, then add the shrimp and more sauce as desired.