Although this recipe is called White “Spaghetti” and Meatballs, any form of pasta can be used.
1 extra large egg
1 large garlic clove, minced
1 tsp salt, divided
1/2 tsp black pepper, divided
1 tsp Italian seasoning
10 saltine crackers, finely crushed
1 1/2 lbs ground chicken breast
Vegetable cooking spray
2 tsp butter
1 tsp olive oil
1/2 medium onion, finely diced
1 large garlic clove, finely chopped
1 8-ounce package sliced fresh mushrooms
2 Tbs all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp ground cayenne pepper
1/2 cup dry white wine
3 cups chicken broth
6 oz cream cheese
1/2 cup cream
1/4 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley
1 (8-ounce) package spaghetti
1. In a large bowl, stir together the egg, minced garlic, 1/2 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp black pepper, Italian seasoning, and crushed crackers. Add the ground chicken and mix well. Cover and chill 20 minutes.
2. Shape mixture into 1-inch balls. Place a rack coated with cooking spray in an aluminum foil-lined broiling pan. Arrange the meatballs on rack, then lightly spray meatballs with cooking spray. Cover and chill an additional 15 minutes.
3. Uncover and bake at 375° for 13 to15 minutes or until golden.
4. Meanwhile, in a wide chef’s pan or Dutch oven, melt together the butter and oil. Add the onion and saute until the onion begins to soften, then stir in the finely chopped garlic and mushrooms. Cook until the mushrooms soften, stirring often.
5. Sprinkle the mushrooms with flour and cook, stirring constantly, 1 minute. Stir in the remaining 1/2 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp black pepper. Add the wine and 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper, stirring to loosen browned particles from bottom of pan. Whisk in the broth. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer, stirring occasionally, 15 minutes.
6. Add the cream and cream cheese, whisking until the sauce is smooth and thickened.
7. Add meatballs and parsley to the sauce, then simmer 10 minutes.
8. Meanwhile, cook pasta according to package directions. Reserving a cup or so of the pasta cooking water, drain the pasta. Toss the pasta with a portion of the sauce, adding a little of the pasta water as needed. Serve the remaining sauce with the meatballs over the pasta.