Nearly foolproof, this is my new favorite Christmas candy, but of course you don’t have to wait for Christmas!
1 cup pecan halves, toasted then chopped
1 Tbsp butter, salted if you have it
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
1/8 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups confectioners’ sugar
1. To toast the pecans: Heat the oven to 350°. Toss the pecan halves with 1 Tbsp melted butter and place in a single layer on a foil lined baking sheet. Bake until fragrant, about 5 minutes, but watch carefully not to burn.
2. Coat an 8-inch square baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
3. In a large saucepan, bring the butter, heavy cream, granulated sugar, brown sugar, and salt to a boil over medium heat, stirring frequently.
4. Allow to boil for 5 minutes, stirring constantly, then remove the pan from the heat.
5. Stir in the pecans and vanilla.
6. Add the confections’ sugar and stir until smooth and well combined.
7. Spread the mixture into the baking dish.
8. Allow to cool to room temperature then cut into 1-inch squares and serve, or store in an airtight container until ready to serve.
Yield: : 60 pieces