I like to serve this ice cream topped with caramel sauce.
Ice Cream Custard
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1/8 tsp salt
2 Tbsp cornstarch
1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
1/2 cup maple syrup
3 extra large egg yolks, well beaten
1 1/2 cups whole milk
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 Tbsp vodka
3/4 cup pecans, finely chopped
3 Tbsp butter, melted
1 1/2 Tbsp granulated sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1. Ice Cream Custard:
2. In a medium saucepan, whisk together the granulated sugar, salt, and cornstarch. Add the brown sugar and maple syrup, mixing well, then stir in the egg yolks. Gradually blend in the whole milk until thoroughly combined.
3. Cook the mixture, stirring constantly, until it reaches 170°.
4. Chill the mixture to 40° or cover and refrigerate overnight,
5. While the custard mixture is chilling toast and cool the pecans.
6. Toasted Pecans:
7. Preheat the oven to 350°.
8. In a medium size mixing bowl combine pecans, butter, sugar, and salt, mixing well.
9. Spread pecans on a parchment lined baking sheet. Bake at 350° for 10-12 minutes. Remove from oven, let cool completely. Refrigerate until needed. (This will help the ice cream set.)
10. When the mixture has chilled add the toasted pecans, heavy cream, vanilla, and vodka to the custard. Freeze according to directions for your ice cream maker.
11. Transfer the ice cream to a freezer container and freeze until firm.