This may be my new favorite pie crust recipe! It is very delicate and flakey. Be sure to keep everything well chilled or it will be hard to manage.
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp salt
2/3 cup vegetable shortening
3 Tbsp cold butter
1/3 cup buttermilk
2 tsp vegetable oil
1. In a large bowl, whisk the flour and salt together.
2. With a pastry cutter or two knives, cut the shortening and butter into the flour until the chunks are the size of small peas.
3. Stir in the buttermilk and oil with a fork until the dough is moistened and beginning to gather together.
4. Form the dough into a compact shape. Divide the dough in half, and shape each half into a flattened disk. Wrap in plastic wrap.
5. Refrigerate the pastry disks until well chilled, several hours.
6. The crusts may be frozen until needed. Thaw in the refrigerator overnight.
7. Preheat the oven to 400°, or as your recipe requires, before rolling the crust as needed.
Yield: 1 double pie crust