This simple cake is an excellent brunch coffee cake as well as being a quick and easy dessert. If you don’t have a small cast iron skillet just cook the butter, brown sugar, and cream mixture in a small saucepan then transfer to a cake pan to finish. If desired, serve with a dollop of whipped cream or Greek yogurt and a sprinkle of cinnamon.
2 Tbsp butter
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 pinch salt
2 Tbsp heavy whipping cream
1 small Granny Smith apple, peeled, cored, and cut into 1/4″ wedges
1 9 ounce box yellow cake mix, such as Jiffy brand
1 extra large egg
1/2 cup apple cider, or apple juice
1. Preheat the oven to 350°.
2. In an 8″ cast iron skillet over medium heat, melt the butter, then stir in the brown sugar and a pinch of salt. Cook and stir until all the butter has melted and the mixture is bubbly. Turn off the heat and stir in the cream until smooth.
3. Arrange the apples on top of the caramel in a close spoke pattern, but do not overlap. Reserve any remaining apple wedges for snacking.
4. In a medium bowl, whisk together the egg and cider, then stir in the cake mix until smooth. Pour the cake batter over the apples in the skillet.
5. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until a toothpick tests clean in the center of the cake. Remove from the oven and let stand 5 minutes. Carefully invert the skillet onto a larger plate. Best served warm.