This chocolate cornstarch pudding is based on a recipe from my high school home ec days.
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 Tbsp cornstarch
1/4 tsp salt
2 cups milk
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 Tbsp butter, cut into pieces
1. In a saucepan, whisk together the sugar, cocoa, cornstarch, and salt. Gradually whisk in the milk until no lumps remain.
2. Stirring constantly over medium heat, bring the milk mixture to a boil.
3. Turn off the heat and add the vanilla, then dot the top with the butter.
4. Cover and let stand 5 minutes, then stir in the vanilla and butter.
5. Transfer the pudding to a bowl or individual serving dishes and press a piece of plastic wrap or waxed paper directly onto the surface of the pudding. This will prevent a skin from forming on the top.
6. Chill before serving.