If you want a special dessert, here it is!
For the cake
4 oz unsweetened chocolate, chopped (about 1 cup)
1 oz (1/4 cup) natural cocoa powder
1-1/2 cups boiling water
7 oz (1-1/2 cups) unbleached all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp kosher salt
1-1/2 cups packed dark brown sugar
8 oz (1 cup) unsalted butter, softened
4 large eggs, at room temperature
1/2 cup buttermilk, at room temperature
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
4 cups black cherry ice cream, slightly softened
12 chocolate covered cherry candies
1 recipe Hot Fudge Sauce
Optional – whipped cream and maraschino cherries
1. Make the cake
2. Position a rack in the center of the oven and heat the oven to 325°F. Coat a 13×18-inch rimmed baking sheet with cooking spray.
3. Put the chocolate and cocoa in a medium heatproof bowl, add the boiling water, and whisk to combine and melt the chocolate. Set aside to cool slightly. In a small bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, and salt.
4. Beat the sugar and butter in a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment on medium speed until light and fluffy, 3 to 5 minutes, stopping to scrape the bowl halfway through. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Slowly add the buttermilk and vanilla—the batter will look curdled at this point. Reduce the mixer speed to low. Alternate adding the flour mixture (in 3 additions) with the chocolate mixture (in 2 additions), ending with the flour mixture. Scrape the batter into the prepared pan and tap the pan on the counter to level the batter.
5. Bake until the cake springs back when poked in the center with a finger, about 20 minutes. Cool completely in the pan on a wire rack. (Well-wrapped, the cake will keep for up to 2 days in the refrigerator, or up to 1 month in the freezer.)
6. Assemble the Bombes
7. Turn the cake out onto a cutting board. Use a 3-1/8″ round cutter to cut 10 circles from the chocolate cake. Reserve the remaining cake for another use.
8. Set two silicone bombe molds that hold 6 bombes each (3-1/4″ diameter and 1/2 cup capacity) on a 13×18-inch rimmed baking sheet.
9. Fill each bombe mold with about 1/3 cup of ice cream, then push a cherry into the center. Smooth the top of the molds and gently push a cake round into the top.
10. Cover the bombes with plastic wrap and freeze until firm, several hours.
11. When ready to serve, invert each bombe onto a serving plate and top with warm, but not hot, Hot Fudge Sauce. If desired, garnish with a dollop of whipped cream and a cherry.