Are Chocolate Covered Strawberries a fruit or a candy? I think they are the best of both. One serving of dipped strawberries, about 2 very large ones, are less than 50 calories and full of fiber. We hear every day that dark chocolate is good for us, so enjoy!
1 pound fresh strawberries
1 10 oz bag bittersweet chocolate morsels
1/2 tsp vegetable shortening
1. Gently rinse the whole strawberries, leaving the stem end intact, and place on paper towels to dry.
2. Line a large plate with wax paper.
3. When the strawberries are totally dry, combine the chocolate and shortening in a 1 cup glass measuring cup or similar narrow, microwave safe container. Microwave the chocolate for 20 seconds on high, then stir until the cup starts to cool. Continue melting and stirring until smooth. Allow to cool just a couple of seconds.
4. Starting with the largest berries first, grasp together the stem leaves and dip the berry into the chocolate. Allow the excess chocolate to drip back into the cup before placing each strawberry on the wax paper.
5. If the chocolate cools too much, just re-warm in the microwave and stir.
6. Continue dipping until you run out of either chocolate or berries. Let the chocolate harden, then enjoy.
7. If you have much leftover chocolate stir in a few nuts or raisins and spoon into small mounds on the wax paper.