You won’t be saving any calories here, but do apples and oatmeal qualify this pie as breakfast?
1 refrigerated pie crust
For the fillihg:
6 cups apples, peeled, cored, & sliced
2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
2/3 cup sugar
3/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp allspice
2 Tbsp butter
For the streusel topping:
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
3/4 cup rolled oats
1 tsp lemon zest
1/2 cup cold butter, cut into pieces
1. Preheat the oven to 425°. Fit the pie crust into a standard 9″ pie pan and place in the freezer.
2. For the filling:
3. Place the apple slices in a large bowl. In a separate bowl combine the 2 Tbsp. flour, sugar, and spices. Mix well, then add to the apples. Toss until the apples are evenly coated.
4. Remove the pie shell from the freezer. Place the apple mixture in the pie shell and dot with the 2 Tbsp. of butter. Lay a sheet of aluminum foil lightly over the filling but do not seal.
5. Bake in the preheated oven for 10 minutes.
6. While the filling is baking make the streusel topping.
7. In a medium bowl, combine the 3/4 cup of flour, spices, oats, and lemon peel. Mix thoroughly, then cut in the butter until the mixture is crumbly. Remove the pie from the oven and sprinkle the streusel on top.
8. Return the pie to the oven. Reduce the heat to 375°. Bake an additional 35 to 45 minutes, until the topping is browned and the apples are tender. Cover loosely with foil to prevent excess browning.