I don’t know if this easy recipe should be considered a breakfast pastry or dessert. You be the judge!
1 8 oz package cream cheese, softened
3/4 cup granulated sugar, divided
1 extra large egg
1 tsp almond extract
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 cup butter, softened
1 8 oz can refrigerated crescent rolls
1 cup fresh cherries, pitted and halved
1 oz sliced almonds (1/3 c.)
1. Preheat the oven to 350°, Prepare a 8×8 inch baking dish with cooking spray.
2. In a bowl, beat the cream cheese together with 1/2 cup of sugar until smooth. Beat in the egg and extracts and set aside.
3. In another small bowl, mix together the butter and 1/4 cup of sugar and set aside.
4. Unroll the can of crescent roll dough, and use a rolling pin to shape each half into a 9×9 inch square. Press one half into the bottom of the prepared baking dish.
5. Evenly spread the cream cheese mixture over the bottom crust, then arrange the cherries over the cream cheese.
6. Cover the cherries with the second half of crescent roll dough and spread with the butter mixture. Sprinkle the almonds over all.
7. Bake 25 – 30 minutes, until golden brown.
8. Cool completely before cutting.