Using the pineapple juice that you drain from the can as the liquid gives you the taste of pineapple in every bite of this simple dessert.
4 oz butter
1/3 cup brown sugar, packed
1 8 oz can crushed pineapple in juice
1 extra large egg
1 9 ounce box yellow cake mix, such as Jiffy brand
1. Lightly grease a 9″ cake pan. Combine the butter and brown sugar in the bottom of the pan. Place the pan on the middle rack of the oven and pre-heat to 350°.
2. While the butter and sugar are melting, prepare the cake batter. Drain the crushed pineapple, reserving the juice, and set aside. Measure the juice and add enough water to make 1/2 cup. In a medium bowl, blend together the juice mixture, egg, and cake mix. With an electric mixer, beat the cake mix until smooth.
3. When the butter and sugar mixture has melted together and become bubbly remove the pan from the oven. Give the sugar mixture a stir, then top with the drained pineapple. Pour the cake batter evenly over all and return the pan to the oven.
4. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes until the cake springs back when touched in the middle.
5. Carefully invert the cake onto a serving plate and let stand for 5 minutes before removing the pan.