This cake can be prepared in a 9×13 pan or two 8″ pans so you can freeze one for later.
1 quart fresh strawberries
1 cup sugar, divided
1 15-oz box white cake mix
1 cup milk
3 large egg whites
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 8-oz pkg cream cheese — softened
1 12-oz tub whipped topping — such as Cool Whip, thawed
1 Tbsp vanilla extract
1. Remove caps, wash and slice one quart of fresh strawberries. Add 1/2 cup of the sugar and stir to combine. Set aside.
2. Preheat the oven as directed on box. Grease and flour the baking pan.
3. Prepare the cake mix according to directions, sustituting milk for the water, and bake.
4. Meanwhile, In a medium saucepan, combine the strawberries and the remaining 1/2 cup sugar. Cook on medium heat to a low boil. Continue cooking, stirring constantly, for about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside. Reserve 1/3 cup of the strawberry juice for later.
5. While cake is still hot, poke holes in top with skewer. Spoon thestrawberry mixture over the top. Set the cake aside and let cool completely.
6.In a large mixing bowl, combine the cream cheese, sugar, vanilla and reserved strawberry juice. With an electric mixer, mix to incorporate all ingredients. Add thawed cool whip, and mix until fluffy.
7.Spread on cool cake, refrigerate for at least one hour before serving.