Watch these little cheesecake carefully while they are in the oven. They can over-cook quickly. Remove them from the oven when they are just barely set for the creamiest texture. Each cheesecake is only 233 calories, not bad for such a decadent dessert.
4 oz dark chocolate morsels (I use Ghiradelli), divided
1/2 9 oz package chocolate wafer cookies, crushed
12 oz Neufchatel cheese, softened
2/3 cup sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 cup dark baking cocoa
2 medium eggs
2 Tbsp heavy cream
1. Preheat the oven to 325° with a pan of hot water on the bottom rack. Line a standard 12 cup muffin tin with foil liners.
2. In a small bowl or 1 cup glass measuring cup, microwave 1 oz of the dark chocolate morsels, stirring until smooth. Set aside to cool slightly.
3. Divide the cookie crumbs evenly among the prepared muffin cups and press firmly into the bottom to form a crust.
4. In a large bowl with an electric mixer, beat the cream cheese until creamy. Beat in the sugar and vanilla until fluffy. Add the cocoa. Beat in the eggs, then stir in the melted chocolate.
5. Divide the cream cheese filling among the muffin cups.
6. Bake the cheesecakes on the middle rack of the oven for about 30 minutes, or until just set. Remove from the oven and cool 15 minutes, then remove from the pan to cool completely.
7. Prepare the topping by melting together the remaining 3 oz of dark chocolate morsels and cream, stirring until smooth. Dollop the topping onto each cheesecake.
8. Refrigerate the cheesecakes until chilled.