This recipe was shared with me by a family friend, Jean Furst. Jean added 1 tsp of ground cloves to her recipe, but I’m not a big clove fan and leave them out. The choice is yours.
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground ginger
3/4 cup vegetable shortening
1 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup molasses
1 large egg , lightly beaten
additional sugar for coating
1. Preheat the oven to 375°.
2. Combine all dry ingredients, mixing well, and set aside.
3. In a large bowl with an electric mixer, cream together the shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Stir in the molasses and egg.
4. Gradually stir in the flour mixture until just combined.
5. Roll the dough in small balls and shake in granulated sugar to coat. Place 2 inches apart on lightly greased cookie sheets.
6. Bake 15 minutes, or until lightly browned around the edges.
7. Cool on a wire rack.