This recipe was originally from Argo Cornstarch, but I made a couple of changes because I like a lot of filling and a lot of meringue.
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup corn starch
1 1/2 cup cold water
4 large egg yolks, lightly beaten
1 tsp grated lemon rind
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1 Tbsp butter
1 9 inch pie crust, baked
4 large egg whites, at room temperature
1/4 cup sugar
1. In a medium saucepan combine 1 cup sugar and the cornstarch. Whisk together the water and egg yolks and gradually add to the sugar mixture until smooth.
2. Stirring constantly, bring to a boil over medium heat; boil one minute. Remove from the heat and stir in the lemon rind, juice, and butter. Spoon the hot filling into the crust.
3. Preheat the oven to 350°.
4. In a medium glass mixing bowl beat the egg whites at high speed until foamy. Gradually beat in the remaining sugar until stiff peaks form. Spread the meringue evenly over the hot filling, sealing it to the crust to prevent shrinkage.
5. Bake at 350° for 15 minutes or until golden.
6. Cool on a rack, then refrigerate to set before serving.